We’re on call 24/7
Write To Us
The iPIM is a pipeline monitoring system comprised of a moving robotic mechanism and a permanently installed network of sensors that will continuously monitor the pipeline for cracks, corrosion and other faults and send the information over a wireless communication system to the network monitoring centre where the fault will be displayed over a 3D map of the pipeline. The sensors are installed onto the permanent structure either on new pipelines or can be retrofitted to old ones at areas of interest. It will accurately locate, measure and monitor corrosion and cracks over long distances at critical control points and with sufficient sensitivity and resolution to catch and monitor defects before critical fault can occur. The system is based around low power, self-energised long range and wireless sensor nodes, which harvest energy from various sources to suit local environmental conditions.
This installed system accumulates pipeline structural health data over time. When it identifies a threshold of potential threat/s to the structure it will signal the need for an inspection of particular areas. In that event, the robotic mechanism [or PIG-Pipeline Inspection Gauge, as it is commonly referred to as PIG in the industry] is deployed.
Ultrasonic Guided Waves (UGW) velocity varies significantly with frequency and is dispersive in nature. For a given frequency, the UGWs can propagate in several different modes. Low frequency waves, where the ultrasonic wavelength is much greater than the sample’s characteristic dimensions, usually give the simplest and most useful wave modes. LRU systems have advantages over conventional ultrasonics and the other methods due to their potential for rapid and low cost 100% volume coverage
A new low profile wireless sensor will be developed which will incorporate both Acoustic Emission (passive) and Ultrasonic (active) operational capability. The dual sensors will be permanently attached in the pipeline that will continuously monitor the pipe for faults and send the information to the network monitoring centre. The sensors will act in passive AE mode in normal operation and on detection of an anomaly will switch to LRU mode to locate and determine the characteristics of the anomaly.
With iPIM you will be able to monitor the progression of cracks over time. The fault will be localised and displayed on the 3D map with exact distance from a reference point. The change happening to the fault over time will also be displayed on the 3D map. The operator will be able to locate the fault, its change over time and its distance from the network monitoring centre or any other reference point.
A 95% Probability of Detection (POD) rate for corrosion-related defects at <5% cross-sectional area (CSA) loss is anticipated over a 50m range either side of the transducer collar, with crack detection at or less than 1% of CSA contingent on the accumulation of baseline information for comparison purposes. Theoretically, a permanently installed system should be able to achieve a detection performance of <1% CSA loss.
Draxis Environmental Technologies S.A. provides consulting, solution development, implementation and management of Environmental Technologies. DRAXIS can help local authorities or private organizations in Environmental Management, improvement of natural resource use and effective integration of environmental management issues into the decision making process. Through the combined use of Geographic Information System technologies, research in many aspects of mobile robotic autonomy, Environmental know-how and Environmental Remote Sensing and Database Software Products, their clients can achieve substantial improvements in Environmental performance.
TWI Ltd is one of Europe’s foremost independent not-for-profit research and technology organisations, employing 435 people with an annual turnover of €60 million. TWI works across all industry sectors with expertise in key aspects of NDT, materials and materials joining. TWI has two main NDT Research Centres based at Abington, Cambridge and Port Talbot, South Wales. These centres cover the broad Spectrum of NDT development for single client contracts, joint industry sponsored projects, UK Government projects and European projects.
Advanced Mechanical Systems Ltd is a mechanical technology and product development consultancy specialised in design and development of robotic and manual NDT inspection systems for applications in numerous sectors including aerospace, subsea, oil, gas, petrochemical, rail and power generation. Our mechanical design expertise is also transferable to many other engineering industries.
Our story is one rooted in an unwavering commitment to the people who work for our company, who in turn have a sincere focus on providing customers with superior solutions that help their businesses develop.
We aim to eliminate the task of dividing your project between different architecture and construction company.Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. We are a company that offers design and build services. Objectively innovate empowered.
Quickly aggregate B2B users and worldwide potentialities. Progressively plagiarize resource-leveling e-commerce through resource-leveling core competencies.Cum sociis natoque penatibus et magnis dis parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus. Dramatically mesh low-risk high-yield alignments before transparent e-tailers.
Thank you for your interest in contacting us in relation to the iPIM project. Please fill in and submit this form and we will get back to you.
We are happy to hear from you!
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 673727
Thank you for your interest in contacting us in relation to the iPIM project. You can do so using the coordinator’s information:
or by using our contact form. For more information we encourage you to visit the corporate websites:
© 2015 ipim-technology.com